By Richard Whatmore,Brian Young
A significant other to highbrow History offers an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow background as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters exhibit top worldwide learn with large insurance of each point of highbrow historical past because it is at present practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of contemporary examine and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and available demeanour, designed for a world audience
- Surveys a number of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that challenge highbrow historians
- Pays particular recognition to modern controversies, delivering readers with the most up-tp-date evaluate of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the historical past of technological know-how and medication, literary reviews, artwork background and the historical past of political thought
Named Outstanding educational identify of 2016 via Choice Magazine, a booklet of the yank Library Association
Read Online or Download A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best historical studies books
The "Good battle" in American reminiscence dispels the long-held fable that american citizens cast an contract on why that they had to struggle in international battle II. John Bodnar's sociocultural exam of the titanic public debate that came about within the usa over the war's which means unearths that the belief of the "good struggle" used to be hugely contested.
Global heritage: trips from earlier to give makes use of universal topics to provide an built-in and accomplished survey of human historical past from its origins to the current day. through weaving jointly thematic and local views in coherent chronological narratives, Goucher and Walton remodel the overpowering sweep of the human previous right into a actually worldwide tale that's proper to the modern problems with our time.
Why did women and men in a single of the simplest trained international locations within the Western international got down to dispose of Jews? during this ebook, Judith M. Hughes specializes in how historians' efforts to grapple anew with concerns of actors' meanings, intentions, and reasons have triggered a go back to psychoanalytically knowledgeable methods of pondering.
Deep maps are finely specified, multimedia depictions of a spot and the folks, constructions, gadgets, flowers, and fauna that exist inside it and that are inseparable from the actions of daily life. those depictions may well surround the ideals, wants, hopes, and fears of citizens and aid express what ties one position to a different.
- The Late Roman World and Its Historian: Interpreting Ammianus Marcellinus (Routledge Classical Monographs)
- La liberté ou la mort: essai sur la Terreur et le terrorisme (French Edition)
- Writing History in the Digital Age (Digital Humanities)
- Going to the Sources: A Guide to Historical Research and Writing
Extra resources for A Companion to Intellectual History (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)